Tuesday, March 25, 2008

More love for Twitter

You were probably getting tired of all my writing about Google. And it appears that this semester I've switched to being a big fan of Twitter.

In any case, I just found an interesting new tool allows you to integrate your Google Calendar with your Twitter account. I'm not sure that I'm using Twitter more than I'm using Gmail at this point, but just in case I can now use Twittercal to blast appointments more effectively.

Also, Alice of Beck Center fame sent me a link to a blog post on 17 different ways to visualize the Twitter Universe. The author breaks the different tools he has found into four categories: network diagrams, maps, analytics, and abstract. It's really interesting playing with these different tools. Here are some of my favorites:
  • Twitter Friends Network Browser: It's kind of like playing six degrees of separation, but with your Twitter family.
  • twittervision: I mentioned this in my first post about Twitter. But that doesn't mean that it isn't fun to play with still.
  • TweetStats: Get visualizations of how you've been using Twitter.
  • TweetVolume: search for specific words or phrases and compare them to each other. (Brian is a more popular word than Wayne, Jay, or Alan.)
  • Twitter Blocks: a Twitter-made application for visualizing your network and posts.
  • 24 o'clocks: A very pretty way to browse your and your friends tweets on a calendar-like interface.
And there will likely continue to be new applications designed using Twitter's API in the near future.

I've been trying to explain to people for the last two months why I find Twitter intriguing. Maybe it's just because it's an easy web 2.0 platform or that it is very portable. It definitely has something to do with the pedagogical possibilities I'm imagining for it. But it also has something to do with the imagined communities that it is already allowing me to build. And that's enough for now.

1 comment:

rachel said...

Heather Armstrong did a post on twitter today. When usage goes through he roof tomorrow it will be hard ot say if you or she is more responsible.